With the recent development in medicine, especially in ophthalmology, laser-in-situ-keratomileuses (LASIK), also referred to as laser eye surgery has become widely adopted and the safest method to correct refractive vision issues. Laser eye surgery is quick and pain-free, and it can treat the refractive errors of the eye with great accuracy than other procedures. LASIK is surgeons’ first choice to treat myopia (farsightedness), hyperopia (nearsightedness), and astigmatism.
How Safe Is Lasik Surgery?
Laser eye surgery is one of the safest procedures available to correct the eye’s refractive errors with a complication rate of less than 1%.
LASIK has never been reported to cause blindness. There are much lower chances of inflammation with LASIK than with a contact lens.
These points indicate the safety of LASIK surgery. LASIK is one of the most widely performed procedures for refractive eye errors, not only because it is considered a safe method but also because patients are highly satisfied with its outcome.
Aside from the benefits and safety, there are some complications associated with LASIK. Some mild complications which usually last for 3-12 months are:
- Double vision
- Dry eyes
Some complications are serious, but their incidence is less than 1%:
- Overcorrection of vision
- Undercorrection of vision
- Impaired vision
- Inflammation of cornea
When Should Laser Eye Surgery Be Avoided?
There are certain conditions when you should avoid laser eye surgery. You should consult with your surgeon if you have any of the following conditions before undergoing LASIK surgery:
- Immune system disorders
- Advanced glaucoma
- Large pupil
- Diabetes, causing eye issues
Factors To Consider Before Undergoing Lasik Surgery
Consider the following factors seriously before undergoing LASIK surgery:
- While choosing an eye hospital in Spain, choose one with highly qualified and accredited surgeons. Select a hospital with the latest laser technology for your eye surgery.
- While most hospitals in Spain claim to have qualified surgeons and advanced technology, do your research to choose the best for you.
- Always go for the best available eye hospital in Spain to get your LASIK surgery done because it will provide you with the confidence you need for the surgery.
- Ask questions about the available options, your conditions, lasik surgery cost, and how this surgery will affect you.
- Get in touch with other patients who had undergone laser eye surgery and talk to them.
The Criteria For Choosing A Hospital
The criteria for choosing the best eye hospital in Spain should be:
- A hospital with qualified and experienced surgeons specialized in eye surgery.
- A hospital with all the required diagnostic and therapeutic equipment and advanced technology.
- A hospital known for its distinguished services in laser surgery.
Pre-op And Post-op Management
You should follow the pre-op and post-op instructions provided by your surgeon to decrease postoperative complications.
Follow-up sessions with your LASIK surgeon can greatly reduce the stress associated with the surgery and fasten your recovery. So you should attend all your follow-up sessions.
|Like, share, and tag a friend who would also love to read this. Visit Updated Ideas regularly to get updates on new posts!|