Every year, hundreds of students want to change colleges. They may need to move to another city or change their environment to take advantage of the benefits they do not have at their home university. Or they are constantly looking for essay assistance because they don’t like their major. For these cases, there are possibilities to change universities regardless of the course they are in.
The requirements vary according to the type of change you wish to make. However, it is essential to have secured admission to proceed with other equally important procedures: the validation of credits earned and the transfer of the transcript. Everything must be done by the policies of each university.
In this guide, you will find the requirements for you to change universities. You will learn about the different mechanisms and aspects to consider for validation and transfer. We will also show you a few tips so that you can carry out the process most efficiently and quickly.
Table of Contents
Requirements for changing universities
The process to change universities, whether public or private, can be done in two different ways:
- The first is the traditional admissions process. If you are admitted, you can then change your transcript.
- The second way is to apply for a change of study. In this process, you will compete only with students with the same needs as you.
For the general admission process, the following requirements will be requested:
- National Identity Card (DNI) or valid passport.
- Application for Admission to the new university. This letter can be obtained from the official web page of the institution.
- Baccalaureate degree or higher education.
- A certificate that you have passed the university entrance exam.
- If it is a private university, you will also have to take the exams and interviews that they have in their specific processes.
- You may be asked for other requirements, such as interviews, letters of recommendation, etc. It all depends on the university.
- Once you have been admitted, you will apply for the validation of credits from your previous university. In these cases, the criteria vary according to the university.
After an admission to the new university, it will be time to apply for the transfer of your transcript and the validation of credits:
- Look for the transcript transfer form at your current university and fill it out with all the specific information.
- Submit it with a certificate from the new university stating that you have obtained a place.
- Even if it is the same university, you must present a certificate with your grades and credits earned.
- You will most likely be charged some fees for the paperwork and secretarial service.
- Then take that same document with you to have your transcript transferred. You will probably have to pay a fee as well.
The speed of the transfer will depend on many factors: your form of admission, the type of course, the distance between universities, and if the universities have some kind of agreement or partnership. Within a maximum of one month, you will have completely changed universities if you meet all the requirements.
What does it take to change universities?
You need to choose between the two paths available to change colleges. Remember that each process varies according to the institution’s internal policies:
- In the general admission process, you will have to compete with your entrance score with all incoming students. If you are admitted, you will be able to request the validation of the credits you have in your university of origin.
- If you decide to request a change of study, you will need to make a formal request to the university. Likewise, you will have to compete for one of the places they have for this type of admission. You will compete with fewer people, although there are always a few places reserved for this type of admission.
- When you are admitted, you need to process the complete validation of credits and the transfer of your transcript.
Keep in mind that only with the change of study you can achieve several of the validations you want. With general admission, you must first gain access to the university to be able to process all the validations or recognition of your credits.
You will be able to change to the same or similar majors. Some universities require the same area of knowledge. This is always considered when awarding places in this modality since there are very few and there are usually several applicants.
Although it may seem relatively easy, many people manage to change universities, but without the validation of their old credit units, or even only half of them. This means that they have to take a good number of credits again. The best thing to do is to switch to the same major and have very good grades.
How to transfer from one university to another: main procedures
Transferring to another university can be a long and stressful process. The first thing you have to do is to check with the university you wish to attend to find out about the procedures for transferring your studies. This way, you will be able to choose whether to go this way or to apply for general admission. You will also have the possibility of participating in both processes, as long as you pay the corresponding fees for each one.
Whichever process you choose, you have to take your previsions:
- Check the convocation dates at the university you want to attend. You should also check the program of the career you want to change to. This will help you choose the best way to make the change, or if it is worth it or not.
- It is also essential that you know the university’s Credit Recognition Policies.
- Prepare your applications for admission (either by general admission or by change of study) very well.
- If you opt for general admission and you have a low score in selectivity, you may also choose to raise your score.
- You will need to show your grades obtained: general admission baccalaureate and those you have taken at your home university by change of study.
- Pay the corresponding fees to present the access to the new university.
- Once you have obtained your place, you must consult about the recognition of the credits you brought from your previous university. Some institutions, allow you to do this before enrollment. In others, you will have to enroll blindly without knowing which subjects will be recognized. However, you will be able to enroll in some subjects that you have not taken.
- Finally, all you have to do is go to your home university and request the transfer of your transcript.
Don’t forget that, in the best-case scenario, you can contact both universities and ask them to guide you through the whole process. This way you will be able to choose which is the most convenient for you and the ways to do it quickly and without any problem.