Dogs usually suffer from a wide range of health issues. Sometimes it might be acute or chronic, mental, or physical. But regardless of the cause and severity of the condition, you can use CBD oil to ease pain, treat discomfort, and enhance wellness in dogs. But for pet owners looking for an alternative source of medicine, what are the benefits of CBD oil for dogs? Besides that, what are the potential side effects of giving your pet a CBD oil product? If you want to know how CBD can improve your pet’s quality of life, keep on reading this article.
Table of Contents
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is usually made by first extracting the cannabidiol (CBD) compound from the industrial hemp plant. Manufacturers will then mix organic cannabis compound with a carrier oil such as hemp seed oil or coconut seed oil to create a highly bioavailable product. You can find CBD oil products in many types and strength options.
How Does CBD Oil Work on Dogs?
Dogs, just like human beings, have the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a messenger in the body that’s responsible for homeostasis. It helps to regulate different processes in the dog’s body. This includes enhancing immune response, providing pain relief, regulating sleep, appetite, etc. When you give your dog CBD, the cannabis compound will most likely impact the activity of the body’s messengers positively. It will stimulate the receptors and hormones found in the messenger system, leading to an improvement in overall wellness.
Potential Benefits of CBD Oil for Dogs
There are many benefits of CBD oil for dogs, ranging from managing physical discomfort to mental health issues. Whether you are looking for CBD dog treats for anxiety or topical products for skin issues, you can literally find everything on the market that can help improve your pet’s wellness. The potential benefits of CBD oil for dogs include:
- Arthritis: CBD oil’s anti-inflammatory properties make it ideal for managing arthritis in dogs. The organic cannabis compound product can help ease joint pain and provide your dog with a sense of relief.
- Seizures: The benefits of CBD oil for dogs with seizures lie in cannabidiol’s anti-epileptic properties. CBD can help ease the severity and frequency of seizures, thereby enhancing the quality of the dog’s life.
- Pain: CBD has analgesic properties that may effectively manage both acute and chronic pain in dogs. Whether your dog has muscle or joint issues, oral intake or topical application of CBD oil can reduce pain symptoms significantly.
- Anxiety: It’s one of the most common mental issues dogs suffer from. Anxiety in pets can occur due to a change in environment, underlying health conditions, or abandonment. Meanwhile, pet owners can rely on the anti-anxiety properties of the CBD compound in managing the symptoms of anxiety.
Apart from these health issues, you can use CBD oil for dogs to treat other conditions such as:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Inflammatory bowel syndrome
How Much CBD Can You Give Dogs?
There is no universal dosage for CBD for dogs. This is because dosage usually depends on a wide range of factors, including the severity of the medical condition, type of medical condition, age, and weight of the dog, among other factors. However, most brands usually offer CBD dosage recommendations based on weight. The safe rule of thumb is currently 0.2 mg of CBD per pound. This means that if your dog weighs 30 lbs., then you should give it 6mg per serving.
CBD Oil Safety & Side Effects in Dogs
CBD oil has a generally safe profile, and many animals can tolerate it. However, if you are going to use CBD oil for dogs, then you must also understand the potential side effects. This is because different pets react differently to CBD compounds due to chemical balance, metabolism, and genetics. The possible side effects of CBD in dogs include:
- Dry mouth: This sometimes happens because CBD can interfere with saliva production. The decrease in saliva production will lead to a dry mouth and increased thirst.
- Drowsiness: It mostly occurs when you give your pet high CBD doses, especially when you are treating it for anxiety.
- Low blood pressure: CBD can result in a temporary drop in blood pressure, causing lightheadedness temporarily.
Other Types of CBD Products for Dogs
Apart from CBD oil for dogs, you can find CBD in multiple other forms with different levels of effects. Other types of CBD products for dogs include:
- CBD Dog Treats: They are crunchy and tasty edibles with a crispy feel. These appetizing CBD treats for dogs come in different sizes, shapes, and flavors. They are commonly used to for reducing pain & inflammation, and sometimes reward these four-legged animals. Some of the commonly found products on the market include CBD dog treats for joint pain, anxiety, insomnia, etc.
- CBD Dog Chews: These are sweet, chewable edibles that are available in multiple flavors. CBD chews are effective for easing pain and other inflammatory conditions. However, they are sometimes used simply as treats.
- CBD Pet Spray: there are mostly used to provide a calming and refreshing effect. CBD pet sprays are usually deodorized with natural ingredients to ensure your pet feels and smells great. Besides that, some sprays are for oral intake and come in multiple flavors to cater to different taste buds.
- CBD Balm: It’s an ideal product for a pet with a skin issue. Besides that, CBD balm is ideal for treating muscle pain and arthritis. You can apply this topical product on your pet’s paws, skin, and elbow, among other areas.
- CBD Peanut Butter: These are delicious protein-packed CBD products rich in peanut butter. They are among the best CBD dog treats due to the tasty flavors that make them ideal additions to breakfast or snack routines. CBD peanut butter is suitable for both small and large dogs.
Are CBD Products Legal for Dogs?
One of the common online searches regarding CBD for dogs is “Where to buy CBD dog products near me?”. The truth is that there are many places where you can make purchases, both online and in local stores. However, it’s important to understand the legality of CBD oil products for dogs.
All CBD products are legal federally. This is after the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill. However, the cannabidiol extract needs to come from industrial hemp and should contain less than 0.3% THC. It’s also worth noting that different states have different regulations. So, ensure that you understand your state’s laws regarding CBD for pets before purchasing. If you are unsure, then you can consult your veterinary first.
CBD oil for dogs is a perfect addition to your pet’s wellness routine. CBD compound has many health benefits. It can treat both mental and physical health issues, improving the quality of your pet’s life. While CBD oil is one of the most popular forms to administer cannabidiol to your pet, you can still give your dog treats and chews. You can also apply spray and topical products, depending on the underlying health issue. Just make sure that you understand your state’s law and if you are unsure how your pet will react to CBD products, seek the opinion of your veterinary.