Keyword research is the first and most important step in Search engine Optimization. If SEO studies are attempted without keyword research, the result will be negative. It is also very important to do keyword research correctly.
Many websites don’t spend their time on this keyword research. Research points out, “70% of searchers use minimum 4 words in a key phrase”. It requires a lot of phases of works to be done by wearing the shoes of searchers. What the search of the niche will be looking for?
Is our website is product-based, location-based, service-based, or information sharing place. Depending on this, we should work on providing organic keywords to our content to increase the chance of ranking in SERP.
When keyword research has done in proper guidance, half of the SEO work gets done as it is an important factor of the search engine ranking of your webpage.
What is a Keyword?
As we said that keyword research is a vital step in SEO. Think of it like this, if you have a button on your shirt incorrectly, the others will inevitably be fastened to the wrong knuckle. So we have to do this right. Your keywords are the search queries that you most want to be ranked in the SERPs.
Your keywords should reflect your website, the work you do, and your target audience. It is also very important to do this kind of research on search engines. Because it is essential to know what queries our target audience is using.
With these studies, website owners will have the chance to get more organic traffic for their sites. We must regularly research and track keywords. Until our website disappears!
The Importance of Keyword Research
You have to focus on the right words. How logical does it make to target keywords that our target audience is not using? For example, our keyword is “car prices”.
In other words, when an internet user writes this query to the search engine, we want him to encounter our website. So we have to look mainly at the difficulty of this word, its competition, its monthly traffic. There are many tools on this subject.
Ahrefs and Google Ads will guide us! The Keyword Difficulty Checker and Google Ads, Keyword Planner, available in Ahrefs, should be on our right and left arm.
At least it is for me, when we search for our related keyword on Ahrefs, it will give us some data. For example, “hard” or “super hard”. In such a case, we can understand that this keyword is difficult. But remember, Ahrefs looks at these values on a Backlink basis.
How to Do Keyword Research?
We want to see our target audience on our website. For this, let’s continue with the example we just mentioned. Let us have a gallery and a website.
Our ultimate goal is to come across when a user types “car prices” on Google. First, we have to look at the difficulty of the keyword through Ahrefs. It is worth remembering that Ahrefs grades these values on the basis of backlinks.
For example, if a word appears as “easy” in Ahrefs keyword planner, that’s good news. Because the difficulty level of this keyword is “easy”.
For a different study, we should definitely use Google Ads Keyword Planner. Google determines a keyword as difficult or easy according to different criteria. Whatever happens, we must use these two tools. Of course, there are dozens of different tools and you can try them too.
Below we will discuss the process in order;
- What is different from other sites?
- Research keywords
- Consider long-tail keywords
- How is the competition for the keyword?
- The tendency to search purpose
Let’s open them one by one:
- When we create content, what purpose does this correspond to? We must grasp this well. What is happening on our site and not on other sites? Their questions will help us take the right steps.
- Search your keyword from Google suggestions to Google Trends. The man who knows the most is the man who travels the most.
- Long-tail keywords are often less competitive. This will directly affect your position in the ranking. So it might be a good idea to put long-tail keywords on the agenda.
- How is the competition for the keyword? The popularity of a keyword is perhaps the most important factor. So we have to investigate this. Ahrefs and Google Ads can help us with this.
- If your keyword is not suitable for the search purpose, I think there is no need to talk much. For example, we are internet users today too. When we write “apple prices” to Google, we don’t want “shoe prices” to appear. Search engines know this well. Therefore, we must do studies in accordance with the search purpose.
Only your keyword should not be suitable for the search purpose. It should also be compatible with the search query on your website.
For example, web error will never be able to top the word “SEO”. Because Google has turned off the word “SEO” for companies/agencies. Understanding this can be as easy as doing a few searches. However, most people do not know this.